Now, these are pj's, so it's still baby steps--I'm not ready to try making shorts to be worn in public yet. But as pajamas go, these are maybe the best I've ever had. As a matter of fact, I made two pairs--one to try out the pattern before cutting into my Nani Iro double gauze (it's Pocho Adzuki Bean, a dark eggplant color--love it!)
The first pair is made from double gauze printed in Japan. I love this fun print and I have bought it in several different colors!
I used the free Bias Trim Shorts pattern from Melly Sews, and since I was using a woven instead of a knit, I followed her instructions from this tutorial, where she makes a pair out of a satiny fabric. Basically I slit the pattern pieces in the middle and added another half-inch of width to both pieces. She says to add a quarter of an inch, but I'm slightly larger than the measurements she gives for the pattern so I bumped it up a little extra. I also added about .75 inch to the length just for the heck of it.
|Just what you want to see, right? A couple of pictures of my butt.|
|Maybe this is the real reason why I don't sew more pants...|
I made both pairs exactly the same way--I was so pleased with how the first pair came out that I didn't change a thing for the Nani Iro pair!
In addition to changing the sizing slightly, I also used single fold bias tape instead of double fold. This was mostly for practical reasons--the bias tape I wanted to use just happened to be single fold! For the first pair, I had a package of vintage bias tape in exactly the right color, and it was a little bit silky, not a basic cotton kind. Nice for pajamas, right?
And for the second pair, I knew I wanted to use the bias tape I found at my local 100 yen store, made from traditional Japanese print fabric. Unfortunately, it only came in 1 meter packs, and I couldn't find more than 2 packs of any one print. The pattern calls for 3 meters, but after making the first pair I thought I might be able to fudge it, since some of the bias tape ends up hidden on the inside when you sew the side seams together.
This worked great--I used exactly one meter on each side of the shorts, and was able to hide the unfinished edges on the inside. As a matter of fact, I cut the back pattern pieces so that the exposed edge was on the selvage, so there weren't any raw edges to speak of.
|Here is the front and back pieces for one side, sewn together and with bias tape attached.|
You can see the white selvage edge where I ran out of bias tape.
|Here's how the inside looks when you use single fold bias tape instead of double.|
The Nani Iro double gauze I used was a great deal--I found two .6 meter cuts of it for 360 yen each (about $3) since there was a little bit of a print error. I don't know if you can tell, but some of the dots have a tiny dot of the background color on them. I think it looks fine!
|Pre-sewing it all together|
One final shot, to show how they look proportionally. It felt weird to have a whole post with no pictures of my face!